Monday, July 1, 2013

Friendship Cup: I'm Lovin' It

Friendship Cup: I'm Lovin' It!

Thanks to McDonald's for providing free food to our participants
and for discounting food for families!
This Saturday, I got the chance to experience my first Friendship Cup at WRAL Soccer Center. This is a day inspired by FIFA's International Fair Play initiative which encourages playing by the rules, using common sense, and respecting fellow players, referees, opponents and fans. The goal of the day is to provide young boys and girls (ages U10 and U12) the opportunity to play soccer in a safe, organized, and all-around inclusive environment. Thanks to the generous support of McDonald's this year, participation in the Cup was free of charge. After last year's successful one day tournament, I knew that I was in for a treat. I will try to paint a picture of the exciting day all in the name of friendship.


Two teams in action at the Friendship Cup! 
When I arrived around 2pm, volunteers greeted me at WRAL Soccer Center entrance with printed schedules. I pulled around Durham Bulls stadium not expecting there to be a crowd yet (opening ceremonies were at 2:30pm). I ended up having to park nearly at the exit of the complex - for once, I did not mind parking far away from the action. I navigated my way through families with their coolers, tents, chairs and kids in tow ready to camp out for the full day of soccer. Teams were scheduled to play 3 games, so families who came to support their kids were in it for the long hall. For those that didn't pack enough sustenance for the day, they could find relief in a McDonald's food tent (which gave each player a free sandwich!) or a local vendor who was serving up pupusas all afternoon. 

All of the teams formed a line on the South Side of the field facing the Radford building in preparation for the opening ceremonies. The players and their families received keynote speeches from CASL's Community Outreach Coordinator, Martin Rodriguez-Arispe, and CASL's CEO, Charlie Slagle. After the National Anthem, the teams scattered to their first game. When I was watching my first game and playing volunteer duties, I got a show of a team's potential goal celebrations (they were waiting to play their game) - I got to witness kids practicing their knee slides, pretend shining each other's shoes, cart wheels, and head first slides on the grass. I could tell from the start, these kids were so excited to be there and have the opportunity to play soccer with their families watching. Teams were represented from across the Triangle and included teams from many of CASL's own outreach efforts including a team from ROCKS (Raleigh Organized Community Kids Soccer) and a team from Haven House who were part of clinics earlier in the year. 
Families came prepared for the long day of soccer!

(sorry for the font change - technological difficulties today)

The camaraderie that surrounds people at community soccer events is truly remarkable. I truly think that Nelson Mandela was right when he made a speech at the Laureas Sport For Good Foundation. He said, 'sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to unite people in a way that little else does. It speaks to youth in a language they understand. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair'. After my experience at the Friendship Cup, I think I saw this in action. I saw kids who speak different languages uniting in one goal, literally. You see parents helping each other and cheering together on the same sideline.Opposing teams were giving high-fives and practicing good sportsmanship. Referees, who reffed the games at no charge, told me that this is the best grou pof players to ref and they look forward to it each year. CASL continues to find ways to use the game of soccer to help people and our community, and the Friendship Cup is just one outlet to bring people together.

The final match ended around 10:30pm, but children went home knowing they were all winners. Each went home with a medal and a gift bag provided by Dick's that included donated items from McDonald's (the sponsor of the event): a free meal ticket and a t-shirt. They also got mini-soccer balls, another CASL t-shirt, a magnet, scarf,  Bruegger's bagel coupons, and more all in their gift bag provided by Dick's Sporting Goods. Hats off to all the volunteers and CASL staff who dedicated so much time and energy to make sure these kids and families had a great day. Charlie Slagle, Ron Sanyal, JB Buxton, Bob Harris, Erin Hensz, Martin Rodriguez-Arispe, Ramon Gallardo, Derek Teel,  Bill Hanckel, and Lindsay Vera. 


1 comment: